1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lime peel
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
1/2 teaspoon sugar substitute
1 pound salmon steaks, cut into 4 equal pieces
8 cups fresh baby-spinach leaves
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1. In a 2-quart dish, combine the lime peel, lime juice, 1 teaspoon of the oil, ginger, five-spice powder, and sugar substitute. Add the salmon and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. In a 3-quart microwavable dish, combine spinach, garlic, and remaining 1 teaspoon oil, tossing gently.
3. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 2 minutes, or until the spinach has wilted. Drain and keep warm.
4. Lightly oil a grill rack. Preheat the grill to medium-high.
5. Remove the salmon from the marinade and place on the grill rack. Brush the salmon with additional marinade.
6. Close the grill cover and cook for 4 minutes. Open the grill cover, turn the salmon, and brush with marinade.
7. Close the cover and cook for 4 minutes longer, or until the salmon flakes easily. Discard any remaining marinade.
8. To serve, evenly divide the spinach among 4 serving plates and center the salmon on the spinach beds.