FOR THE CHICKEN AND MARINADE:
2 cloves garlic, crushed with a garlic press
1/2 cup minced scallion
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
8 large boneless, skinless chicken thighs, each sliced lengthwise into three strips (I like to pound them lightly into uniform pieces)
FOR THE BATTER:
Oil for frying
1/2 cup flour
2/3 cup cornstarch
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
3/4 cup cold water
1) In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients for the marinade.
2) Add the chicken and marinate it in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes.
3) Fill a heavy, deep pan with two inches of vegetable oil and heat it to 350Â°.
4) Combine the dry ingredients for the batter.
5) Quickly whisk in the water until the mixture is evenly blended.
6) Use tongs or a pair of chopsticks to dip and coat the chicken in the batter.
7) Fry the strips in batches of six for 5 to 7 minutes, then drain them on paper towels.
8) Heat the oil to 380Â°.
9) Fry the chicken in batches once more until crisp, about 60 to 90 seconds.
10) Place the cooked chicken fingers on fresh paper towels and sprinkle them with salt.
11) Serve immediately with dipping sauce.