For the Cake
3/4 cup cake flour or all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
6 large eggs, separate egg yolks and egg white
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
2/3 cup canned pumpkin, packed
1/8 teaspoon salt
Cream Cheese Filling
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup confectioners' (powdered or icing) sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1) Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a baking sheet with non-stick spray.
2) Sift flour, cinnamon, ginger and allspice into a small bowl.
3) Using a mixer, beat egg yolks, granulated sugar and brown sugar till very thick.
4) Combine pumpkin with egg mixture, beat at low speed. Then add the flour mixture (step 2) and mix at low speed.
5) In a another bowl, beat egg whites and salt till stiff.
6) Using a spatula, fold egg whites into cake batter gently, till white streaks are gone.
7) Spread batter onto baking sheet. Bake for 15 - 18 mins till a tester or toothpick comes out clean.
8) Dust cake with powdered sugar while it's still hot.
9) Remove cake and place on kitchen towel. Use the bottom edge of kitchen towel and fold it over the edge of the cake to roll up the cake.
10) Let cake cool completed for 1 hour in the fridge with the edge down.
11) For the filling, mix cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract till fluffy. Add sugar and mix well. Then add the chopped nuts.
12) To assemble, unroll chilled cake. Spread the filling evenly on cake. Using the towel as aid again, roll up the cake like before. Place cake on a serving platter with the seam-side down. You can serve the cake immediately, however chilling it for a few hours will help to set the filling and makes slicing much easier. Cover cake in plastic wrap before chilling.
13) Dust cake with powdered sugar before slicing and serving.
September 4, 2012
I prefer to keep one of these pumpkin rolls frozen, in slices, and bring some out when friends come by.
June 18, 2012
These were heavenly. Weâ€™re going to have them again this weekend.
November 20, 2011
Enter your review here
November 19, 2011
Looks like perfection. I love that you have nuts in the recipe for extra goodness. :)